The Rhode Island Board of Elections has instituted the following procedure to help you obtain public records.
- In order to request to inspect and/or to copy documents maintained by the Rhode Island Board of Elections, we ask that you complete the request form or otherwise provide a written request for records that clearly identifies the records you seek and that your request is made pursuant to the Access to Public Records Act. A written request is not necessary for documents available pursuant to Rhode Island General Laws § 42-35-2 or other documents prepared for or readily available to the public. Robert Kando is the Board of Elections Public Records Officer.
- Requests to inspect public records can be mailed or dropped off at the Rhode Island Board of Elections, 50 Branch Avenue, Providence, Rhode Island 02904. To make a public records request by e-mail or fax please contact the Rhode Island Board of Elections at 401-222-2345.
- There are times when the public records you seek are not available at the time of your request. Please be advised the Access to Public Records Act allows a public body ten (10) business days to respond and, with “good cause,” may extend the time to respond to twenty (20) business days.
- If you feel that you have been denied access to public records, you have the right to file an appeal with the Attorney General. If you are still not satisfied, you may file a lawsuit in Superior Court. See Rhode Island General Laws § 38-2-8.
- The Rhode Island Board of Elections is committed to providing you with public records in an expeditious and courteous manner.